On Monday this week Ava started having 2 episodes where she would throw up all food she had eaten. I didn't really think much of it at the time. I figured she had eaten too much, no big deal. On Tuesday a couple more times she threw up all the food she ate. Again I didn't think much of it. On Wednesday, it happened 3 times and I started to wonder about it, especially when she started screaming after each feeding. On Thursday I took her to the doctors office. They were not sure why she had been throwing up. I was instructed to feed her every 1-3 hours for about 3 minutes each time, thinking a small amount of food more often would help decrease the vomiting. And to return to the office tomorrow for a checkup. During the night she started vomiting after each time she ate, despite the smaller amounts, and usually eating every 3 hours. By the time the morning came around, Ava had not gotten any better, in fact, was more lethargic and her nice pink color had become, pale, and splotchy (mottled). I had made the appointment for Friday afternoon, but called to the office to reschedule for the morning because I felt she was worse, and couldn't wait until the afternoon. We got to the office and after being checked over by the doctor, it was decided she needed to be admitted to the hospital for IV hydration. At the doctors office they poked her a number of time for labs and a urine culture. We got to the hospital around 1:30pm. She got her IV started in her arm and the fun began.

She wasn't allowed to eat for 6 hours, then we would gradually reintroduce breastmilk to her body, first by syringe and if she tolerated that well, then on to breastfeeding. She did well with the syringe, only throwing up when she got really worked up like when her new IV was placed. Her IV in her arm went bad and then a new IV was placed in her foot right before midnight.


At this time the plan is to rehydrate the little sweet pea and, reintroduce foods, and probably go home on Saturday sometime.
No comments:
Post a Comment