We were told to go through the ER so they could start her IV, draw labs, and get a chest xray. We were in the ER for about 3 hours before coming up to the pediatric floor room 327, just 2 doors down from our last room.
Around 9:45pm my parents got to the room. About the same time, I was noticing Ava's arm getting puffy at her IV site, so I told the nurse in plenty of time since she had antibiotics due at midnight.
She tried to flush it, but was unable, then she brought in another nurse to try and flush it. The nurse undid the tape and repositioned the IV catheter then started to flush it, and her arm started to puff up. The nurse kept saying, "it flushes easily" and kept pushing more fluids about 5ml. It wasn't until I said her arm is puffing up before she even noticed and she was still pushing fluids. I was SO MAD!!! A couple nurses looked at her veins, and eventually they sent a PICU nurse to start her IV. I was so thankful, because I was still fuming inside!! The PICU nurse was awesome, she started a new IV in her foot, and also utilized my dad to hold her transluminator while she started it. He was pretty proud he got to help with her IV.
Once her IV was started my parents went to the hotel room and we went to bed.
No comments:
Post a Comment